IP network based complete remote control of Studer A80 reel-to-reel tape machines bringing these wonderful machines into the next century!
NEW revision incl Dolby control and more
Marts 2021 marks the beginning of shipping out the new revision of the system with many new bells and whistles for both hardware, software and firmware. Stay tuned for an updated video tour coming soon.
● IP network based complete remote control of Studer A80 reel-to-reel tape machines and 144 Relays audio router.
● Full control of transport function with feedback from the tape machine to the remote including tach timecode.
● Semitone based varispeed control (only if the tape machine is configured with capstan servo pcb 1.080.372 or 1.080.374 or 1.080.377).
● Controls track record arming + repro/sync/input monitoring selection (depends on tape machine configuration).
● Advanced auto locator functionality including play loops and head/tail guards to avoid fast winding the tape of the reel.
● Set and display locator and track names.
● Memory for recalling locator positions, track statuses, naming and more for each of
your tape reels.
● Control multiple devices using multiple remotes for control from different rooms in
your facility or building remote surfaces with access to more than one page at a time.
● Support control of noise reduction systems like the Dolby 361.
● Supports all Studer A80s.
● Push-of-a-button instant update procedure for both machine interface firmware and
remote computer software if connected to a Internet-enabled network. This provides easy offsite support and custom software configuration if needed based on individual unit IDs.
The remote system consists of a small A80 Machine Interface and a compact remote panel with 15 LCD display buttons that can interact with track status, tach based time code with auto-locators, transport keys, precise varispeed parameters etc.* The installation is plug & play and the units discover each other over your tcp/ip network after a short boot up procedure. The system will be delivered in 2 track, 8 track , 16 track and 24 track versions. The user will need to provide cat5 cabling and a router (min. 10/100 Mbps ethernet speed) with DHCP server enabled which is the default out-of-the-box configuration. The system includes a custom hardware machine interface with firmware running on an ESP32 microcontroller, an Elgato Stream Deck remote panel, a Raspberry Pi running custom software, a wall wart psu for the Raspberry Pi and the needed cables between the Machine Interface and the tape machine.
What components does the system consist off?
The Machine interface is designed and manufactured by Frostbox Labs and have an ESP32 microcontroller in its heart with custom written firmware. The single board computer used by the remote panel is a raspberry pi with linux and a custom software app that communicates with the remote panel which is a Streamdeck controller. The raspberry pie gets power from the supplied wall wart psu and the machine interface gets power from the Studer A80 over the transport, varispeed and track control cables.
Do I need to use other devices to configure the system?
No. The system is plug ‘n play and only needs a standard 10/100 router with two free ethernet ports and DHCP enable which is the default configuration for most routers. Then the remote panel will boot up and automatically find the machine interface after approx. two minutes.
What is tach time code?
Tach time code is based on the tach roller just right off the pinch roller on your A80. So it is a relative position referenced to the zero point which can be set on your A80 or remote panel. The zero point on a reel can be marked with splicing tape for future zeroing when changing reels.
Does it worked with different voltages in all regions of the world?
Will it make my poorly maintaned Studer A80 sound better?
2 track Studer A80 remote 1600 € + VAT & Shipping
8 track Studer A80 remote 1800 € + VAT & Shipping
16 track Studer A80 remote 2100 € + VAT & Shipping
24 track Studer A80 remote 2400 € + VAT & Shipping
Extra remote 650 € + VAT & Shipping
Please contact us for more information or leave project feedback: email@example.com
* Varispeed and exact track status controls depends on your A80 machine configuration.